Tern Bikes Frame Failures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tern Link D8 frame shearing in two

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Tern Link D8 frame shearing in two - Page 10 Empty Re: Tern Link D8 frame shearing in two

Post by Admin Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:39 pm

April 7, 2014 - 1:36am
Frank Dippel

Keith C. Johns wrote:

Perhaps we should pole them at this point and ask whether they have gotten anything more than encouraging emails from Tern, if that.

Keith,

In my opinion this has a whole lot more to do with the shop where they had bougth their bicycles than with the tern headquaters. The shop is the junction inbetween customer and manufacturer, and I'm shure, if I would get serious problems with my bike, my shop would replace the bike instantly and do the rest with the manufacturer lateron. And - even if the manufacturer tries to help, all this doesn't work with a dealer that doesn't cooperate.

Best

Frank

Admin
Admin

https://ternframefailure.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tern Link D8 frame shearing in two - Page 10 Empty Re: Tern Link D8 frame shearing in two

Post by Admin Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:40 pm

April 7, 2014 - 2:00am
Rager

We all want answers to this problem and, sorry, but it's very poor that Tern have not responded. I have had no response to my email and nothing on this forum.

As I said previously, normally I'm not a litigatious person. However, I feel Tern is being negligent in not replying. I wonder what the compensation lawyers would make of this, should there be further failures and injury, or worse? There is a known problem, which seems to have originally come to light with frame failures in 2013 but nearly a year later, we are still hearing about broken frames.

Tern, PLEASE respond

BTW I agree we all need to check our frames. Steve, hopefully you're right and regular inspection will show if any cracks are developing. However, everybody has reported a very sudden failure, so there may simply be no warning signs. You speculate about corrosion but these bikes are only, I think, a matter of months old.

Regards.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:41 pm

April 7, 2014 - 4:05am
Lee Tibbetts

Keith C. Johns wrote:

It is as of yet unclear whether Tern has left the several people--now at six I believe?--out hanging in the wind or honored their five year frame warranties. Perhaps we should pole them at this point and ask whether they have gotten anything more than encouraging emails from Tern, if that. Even pending engineering analysis of the causes, surely Tern can afford to replace six bikes, even if only for good PR here. Any suggestion that they do not honor their own warranty can be a disastrous blow to their reputation. So guys, 1-6, please tell us how long ago you contacted Tern and sent back your bikes and whether you have received anything resembling a replacement bike. I hope my faith in Tern will be confirmed by your good results. Let's see, though.

Hi all,

First of all, I can understand why this forum is now private...but I don't agree with it. Damage limitation is one thing but this looks....

Just to follow up on Keith's comment:

I'm #1 in the frame failure league table.

• 13th Dec 2013: First reported the break to Evans Cycles (where I bought the Link D8)

• 20th Dec 2013: Reported here on the forum  as I  Evans Cycles said they couldn't do anything for me as it was now a head office matter, so contact head office.

• 20th Dec 2013: Sent an email to Evan Cycles head  office and Tern's UK rep Mark Bickerton

• 20th Dec 2013: Sent an email to Tern through their website (not answered)

• 22nd Dec 2013: acknowledged by Amanda. Uy on the forum

• 23rd Dec 2013: acknowledged by Josh. Hon on the forum

• 8th Jan 2014: Received a message via the Tern forum from Tern's UK rep Mark Bickerton to say that Tern have asked for the bike to be sent back.

• 8th Jan 2014: Emailed Tern's UK rep to  find out more details about my bike.

• 28th Jan 2014: Emailed Tern's UK rep again as I had heard nothing

• 30th Jan 2014: Received an email from Tern's UK rep. Mark had been away but hoped Evans was keeping me "informed and updated"

• 31th Jan 2014: Received a phone call from Mark (as I expect Tern do not want to commit anything to writing). but did say he was going to speak with Evans Cycles

• 31st Jan 2014: Received an email from Evans Cycles customer relations saying that they are sending the bike back to Tern.

• 12th Feb 2014: Received an email from Evans Cycles to offer me a replacement bike

• 27th Feb 2014: finally got my replacement bike (I decided not to accept the offer of another Tern)

• 26th March 2014: In response to a message I posted here on the forum, I received a voice message from Tern's UK rep saying that he thinks the 3 frame failures (three at that time) were probably due to 'faulty' welds at a factory they no longer use.

As I said to Mark I due to the nature of my work, I'm not often able to receive and make calls so it would be best to contact me by email to discuss the updates of my bike. I'm guessing that at the moment Tern are reluctant to email any details as that's in writing.

Frank Dippel wrote:

Keith,

In my opinion this has a whole lot more to do with the shop where they had bought their bicycles than with the tern headquarters. The shop is the junction inbetween customer and manufacturer, and I'm shure, if I would get serious problems with my bike, my shop would replace the bike instantly and do the rest with the manufacturer lateron. And - even if the manufacturer tries to help, all this doesn't work with a dealer that doesn't cooperate.

Best

Frank

I totally agree. I bought the bike from Evans so I should liaise with them, and they should liaise with Tern.

Tern should however keep the shop updated with the details.... and seeing as they have this forum, not keep customers in the dark.

As for serial numbers, nope sorry I don't have mine. I had the foresight to take pictures of the broken bike but not the serial... (still had a nasty concussion at that point! So I'm suprised I managed that! LOL!)

Hope this has been useful in some way.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:28 pm

April 7, 2014 - 5:21am
pdenton

Wow!! That took a LONG time to sort out!!! Did the other riders have similar problems?

I'm glad you got a replacement bike in the end and I certainly understand why you didn't want another Tern (what model they offer you by the way? Another D8?), but I cant understand why it took so long and by the looks of it STILL no forth coming information about your frame? After 4 months????????? That's not really acceptable really is it?!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:29 pm

April 7, 2014 - 5:23am
Rager

Lee,

Many thanks for the informative update - what a shame Tern hasn't done the same on this forum.

Hope the new bike is ok. Given the circumstances, perfectly understandable why you declined the offer of another Tern.

Thor: we haven't heard from you for a while. I have a question: given the reported problems and the 2013 recall notice, are you still selling Terns?

Regards.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:55 pm

April 7, 2014 - 6:35am
Re-tern

Tern Link D8 frame shearing in two - Page 10 Retern10

To answer a few questions posed by others for riders who have suffered to frame failure

The number stamped on the underside of my frame on the bottom bracket housing was 13130203 (or that is what I can make out from the pictures I have).

I have had only one reply from Tern on the Forum from Amanda just after I had posted my first post. Absolutely nothing in writing / email since.

I have had one call from Mark frm Tern, who stated exactly the same to me as he did to Lee, "probably a bad weld and we don't use the factory anymore". Not commited to saying this in writing though, and to be honest "probably"is not a good enough explanation to me. I do know it was a bad weld, due to a number of reasons, but Mark also stated the bike was made in one of their Chinese factories, so why did my bike state "Made in Taiwan" on the bottom. Is this just staing that the bike was finally assembled in Tawan, or does it state that it was not actually manufactued in the Chinese factory?

Keith asked if any of the riders had "gotton anything more than encouraging emails from Tern"; to answer this simply, NO nothing whatsoever. An encouraging email would hve been a start!

I have tried to contact Tern, but have had no reply; their customer services are just non-existent. They have Mark in theUK, who is a nice guy, but he is just there to deflect questions in my opinion, he is obviously a knowledgable man regarding folding bikes, but I don't feel he is too happy to answer any questions relating to the frame failures, and most certainly won't put anything in writing (as Lee also stated).

I think if Tern had been more accommodating to reply and communicate in the first instance, with myself and the other riders, who have had similar frame failures, then there would not be the animosity for the company that has developed since. There is, without any doubt, an issue with some of theframes manufactured by Tern, adn there will undoubtedly be more failures due to the frequency and conditions that people ride their bike in the future. The fact that Tern have not issued anything regarding this, have not responded to the riders and restricted this forum is not, in my opinion, helping them in any way. This would lead me to think, and I could be totally wrong, that the issue is NOT isolated to a few random batches, and that it is more widespread. If it were a few small batches, then it would be fairly easy for them to recall and replace these frames and everyone would be re-assured? I know this is just speculation, but if I were still riding my Tern and reading these comments this is the picture I would have begun to paint in my head.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:18 am

April 7, 2014 - 7:35am
Steveroot

Rager wrote:

You speculate about corrosion but these bikes are only, I think, a matter of months old.

A few months is more than enough time, especially if the bike was ridden in the wet. And the lowest point on the weld is the most likely spot to be exposed to water.

Steve

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:19 am

April 7, 2014 - 8:46am
JugglerDave

I don't have a broken frame. I have a Tern Link P7i, purchased July 2012, frame number starts with AI 1151, so I have high interest in this thread since the purchase time is similar.

I do a daily commute year-round and I ride down a steep hill @ 35MPH so I have a vested interest in not having the bike fail on me. Because I ride in rain and during snow season, very salted/wet streets I am concerned about the corrosion factor. I have 322 commutes @8.5 miles per day for 2766 miles on the bike.

My primary goal right now is early identification of any corrosion issues. So far with a very bright flashlight I don't see any cracks or visual rust color looking from the outside or through the drain hole from the hinge side. However the frame is black so it would be hard to see discoloration.

Incidentally, my previous two bikes were both Downtube... #1 (bought in 2007) an IX that lasted 3600 miles and #2 (bought in 2009) an 8H that lasted 3900 miles. Both had broken frames right at the seatpost, due to all the high leverage flexing of an extended seatpost. I'm hoping and expecting that my Tern P7i last for 4-5 years of serviceable life at least given that the price is double that of Downtube.

cheers,

Dave

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:20 am

April 7, 2014 - 8:52am
Re-tern

Corrosion should only occur if the paint is damaged (chipped) or if there was inherent corrosion on the base material before it was painted which should have been removed before the protective coating was applied. It is more likely the crack initiated first, and when tension was applied it allowed moisture to seep into the crevice, which in turn led to the aluminium alloy corroding. As Steve correctly stated it takes very little time for untreated alloy to corroded especially when ridden in the wet, which my bike certainly was (it is the UK after all).

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:21 am

April 7, 2014 - 9:31am
Frank Dippel

Lee Tibbetts wrote:

As for serial numbers, nope sorry I don't have mine.

When you buy a bicycle, the serial number was tagged on the box and the freight papers from the factory to the importer-then from the importer to the LBS. When it's sold there, the serial number normally is included on your payment bill - at least important if your bike is stolen to proof the purchase for the insurance. And- last but not least- the dealer does a registation of the bike with its serial number on the tern server ; so you can imagine I'm a bit puzzled about the fact you don't have your serial number. At least your bike shop should do so!

Almost none of the bicycle manufacturers produce the frames in their own factories. Only very few, very expensive brands do so. But all the big mass of manufacturers design the frames and let them get produced somewhere, most of them in China an Eastern Europe. If there is a sticker on your bike that says MADE IN TAIWAN - as on my link c3i, or MADE IN E.U. -as on my link D7i, it means ASSEMBLED in ... with parts from anywhere else. In my opinion because of that a VERY GOOD QC should be installed....

Best

Frank

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 am

April 7, 2014 - 10:22am
Lee Tibbetts

Frank Dippel wrote:

Lee Tibbetts wrote:

As for serial numbers, nope sorry I don't have mine.

When you buy a bicycle, the serial number was tagged on the box and the freight papers from the factory to the importer-then from the importer to the LBS. When it's sold there, the serial number normally is included on your payment bill - at least important if your bike is stolen to proof the purchase for the insurance. And- last but not least- the dealer does a registation of the bike with its serial number on the tern server ;so you can imagine I'm a bit puzzled about the fact you don't have your serial number.

Best

Frank

I'm not sure if that was a dig at me or not. LOL!!!

Well I, for one, didnt realise that the serial number was on the invoice.... and judging by the other guys responses who have given their bikes back to Tern, they didnt either. So when I say I didnt have it, as far as I was concerned it was on the bike, which is no longer in my possession.

Of course, if it's on any invoice I will try and dig that out and post the findings here on the forum as I certainly am not trying to hide anything.

Frank Dippel wrote:

At least your bike shop should do so!

Well, seeing as I dont have the Tern anymore and the bile shop is miles away from where I work and live, I wont be going in to the shop to ask for the serial.  Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 am

April 7, 2014 - 10:21am (new)
Re-tern

Hi Lee, I wasn't sure if that was a dig at you or not either???

I will also try to dig out my invoice for more details of the serial number for the others on this forum

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 am

April 7, 2014 - 10:34am (new)
Lee Tibbetts
Send PM

Ok.... after some digging around, I remembered that I'd registered the bike with 'Bike Register', a site that the UK police endorse and use to track stolen bikes.

So.... here's my frame number (**********).

Hope that helps

Cheers,

L

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:01 pm

April 8, 2014 - 1:53am
amanda.uy

Team Tern - Service

Dear Tern community,

Tern has been monitoring reports of broken frames in this forum closely. As Josh stated earlier this year, we take every frame failure seriously.

Here is what we have been doing around this issue:

1. We have reviewed production data from the factories we use for the frames in question to document the origins of each frame.

2. We have reviewed the EN testing results for our frames to confirm that the frames in question passed strength and durability standards. We want to be sure that the designs passed all designated tests. They do.

3. We are looking at the individual broken frames. Our policy is to request return of broken frames so that we can inspect and test to establish possible causes of the failures.

4. We are in contact with affected customers to understand their individual situations and work with them to replace or refund their Tern bike.

Unfortunately, frame failures sometimes do occur. Sometimes it is due to the way the product is used. Sometimes it is due to a defect in manufacture. It takes some time to review all aspects of the question.
At Tern, if we feel there’s a concern with our frames, we stand behind our product and will not duck the issue.

Sincerely,
Amanda

Sincerely,

Amanda Uy

Tern Bicycles | Service Department

Note: To receive the latest product information, please visit ternbicycles.com/support/registration and register your bike.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:01 pm

April 8, 2014 - 2:35am
Rager

Amanda,

Thank you for at last giving us what is a very long overddue update.

Would you please also answer:

My previous post asking about how many broken frames there have to be before a recall?
If my private email is going to be answered?
Is it safe to continue riding our bikes?

As before, given the seriousness of this issue, I think your customers are entitled to a prompt response. Please do not wait a further 4 months.

Regards.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:16 am

April 8, 2014 - 9:01am
Re-tern

In reply to Amandas email.

1. If you have reviewed production data from the factories for the frames in question; were they all manufactured at the same factory?

2. I am sure all the designs passed all the designated tests otherwise you would not have built them in the first place. You state that you have reviewed the EN testing results to confirm that the broken frames in question passed the strength and durability tests. Did they? Do you test every frame you manufacture, surely not? The design standard and the actual frames in question are two seperate things. Two people can be given the same instructions to build something, one can build it well, the other badly. It is the Quality Control of the manufacturing facilities that need to be questioned, after all these bikes have failed, so something is amiss.

3. What are the results of the failures from your tests then?

4. From my personal experience I have had almost no feedback, and the feedback I have been given is only verbal and speculative. i.e. "we think it was a bad weld". Well I think "that is not good enough".

Yes frame failures do occur; however this is becoming quite a lot of failures in a short space of time, and I am certain there will be quite a lot more. You state sometimes it is how the product is used; agreed, but my own personal experience I KNOW that I rode my bike in a normal way. No bumping up and down kerbs, wheelies etc as has been suggested by some on this forum, and Iam sure the other riders here rode their own bikes sensibly too. Additionally it doesn't take that much time to review all the data, I work in Engineering Testing and Inspection and I know how long these things take; they only take a long time if there is an issue.

Do you feel there is a concern with the product; again nicely worded without actually answering the question?

The statement you made does nothing to answer any of the questions asked by the Tern community regarding the integrity of the products they have purchased.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 am

April 8, 2014 - 9:51am (new)
Lee Tibbetts

I for one am pretty tired of this now. I've got myself a new bike and am likely never to buy a Tern again (my choice). So there's nothing really in this for me expect for setting the record straight once in awhile, for people to ask me questions and maybe find out what actually happened to my frame... seeing as I was the original poster.

So, with that in mind I'd like to address amanda.uy's point 4, as I think it's misleading, and in the worst case, untrue in regards to myself.

amanda.uy wrote:
4. We are in contact with affected customers to understand their individual situations and work with them to replace or refund their Tern bike.

Re-tern wrote:

In reply to Amanda's email.

4. From my personal experience I have had almost no feedback, and the feedback I have been given is only verbal and speculative. i.e.. "we think it was a bad weld". Well I think "that is not good enough".

My total responses by Tern below... 2 forum messages, a 'we've asked for the bike' email and a 'speculation' phone call

Lee Tibbetts wrote:

• 20th Dec 2013: Sent an email to Tern through their website (not answered)

• 22nd Dec 2013: acknowledged by Amanda. Uy on the forum only

• 23rd Dec 2013: acknowledged by Josh. Hon on the forum only

• 8th Jan 2014: Received a message via the Tern forum from Tern's UK rep Mark Bickerton to say that Tern have asked for the bike to be sent back.

• 30th Jan 2014: Received an email from Tern's UK rep. Mark had been away but hoped Evans was keeping me "informed and updated"

• 31th Jan 2014: Received a phone call from Mark (as I expect Tern do not want to commit anything to writing). but did say he was going to speak with Evans Cycles

• 26th March 2014: In response to a message I posted here on the forum, I received a voice message from Tern's UK rep saying that he thinks the 3 frame failures (three at that time) were probably due to 'faulty' welds at a factory they no longer use.... but couldn't be sure.

In my opinion Tern are not 'in contact with affected customers to understand their individual situations and work with them to replace or refund their Tern bike'.  I had to hound Evans bike shop and customer relations to get a replacement bike as a' good will gesture' on their part. That's not Tern replacing OR refunding me.....

josh.hon wrote:
frame failures sometimes do occur. Sometimes it is due to the way the product is used.
amanda.uy wrote:
 frame failures sometimes do occur. Sometimes it is due to the way the product is used.

Like Re-tern, I used my Link D8 to commute short distances to and from the station on the road, or cycle paths (NO CURBS!)...result: frame failure of a 10 month old bike, knocked out cold on a busy road, concussion and shattered cartilage. Hardly a rigorous work out for the bike.

I hope Tern are contact with the other customers that this is happening to and maybe a reassuring email to customers who have your product and WANT to ride it but as too frightened to.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:51 am

April 8, 2014 - 11:16am
Rager

A question for those unfortunate enough to have had broken frames: have any of you been in contact with UK Trading Standards?

If not, perhas you should...

Regards.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:49 pm

April 8, 2014
Plne

amanda.uy wrote:
Dear Tern community, Tern has been monitoring reports of broken frames in this forum closely. As Josh stated earlier this year, we take every frame failure seriously. Here is what we have been doing around this issue: 1. We have reviewed production data from the factories we use for the frames in question to document the origins of each frame. 2. We have reviewed the EN testing results for our frames to confirm that the frames in question passed strength and durability standards. We want to be sure that the designs passed all designated tests. They do. 3. We are looking at the individual broken frames. Our policy is to request return of broken frames so that we can inspect and test to establish possible causes of the failures. 4. We are in contact with affected customers to understand their individual situations and work with them to replace or refund their Tern bike. Unfortunately, frame failures sometimes do occur. Sometimes it is due to the way the product is used. Sometimes it is due to a defect in manufacture. It takes some time to review all aspects of the question. At Tern, if we feel there’s a concern with our frames, we stand behind our product and will not duck the issue. Sincerely, Amanda

I'm sorry to be so blunt, Amanda, but this is an amazingly lame response. It consists of nothing more than pr bromides in an attempt to avoid actual specifics. As others have pointed out already, it does not actually answer the questions that have been put to Tern regarding the issue. Worse, it actually contains statements that anyone who has been reading the thread to this point knows to be falsehoods. For example, the matter of Tern making contact with those directly affected by the frame failures: did you not read the posts - and there were several - in which people stated that Tern had failed to contact them. Re-Tern and Lee Tibbets both address other aspects of your misleading presentation of Tern's response and possible causes of the frame failures.

The most worrying aspect for me is that Tern would regard this sort of response as convincing or acceptable. Something is surely going on: what else are we to conclude if Tern attempts to insult our intelligence in this fashion

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:50 pm

April 9, 2014
Keith C. Johns

Tern Link D8 frame shearing in two - Page 10 Keith10

amanda.uy wrote:
Dear Tern community, Tern has been monitoring reports of broken frames in this forum closely. As Josh stated earlier this year, we take every frame failure seriously. Here is what we have been doing around this issue:

1. We have reviewed production data from the factories we use for the frames in question to document the origins of each frame.

2. We have reviewed the EN testing results for our frames to confirm that the frames in question passed strength and durability standards. We want to be sure that the designs passed all designated tests. They do.

3. We are looking at the individual broken frames. Our policy is to request return of broken frames so that we can inspect and test to establish possible causes of the failures.

4. We are in contact with affected customers to understand their individual situations and work with them to replace or refund their Tern bike. Unfortunately, frame failures sometimes do occur. Sometimes it is due to the way the product is used. Sometimes it is due to a defect in manufacture. It takes some time to review all aspects of the question. At Tern, if we feel there’s a concern with our frames, we stand behind our product and will not duck the issue.

Sincerely, Amanda

I want to thank Amanda and Tern for this update. I think what those of us who said that this response was inadequate must bear in mind is that Amanda's statement is not intended as a final analysis. She is only reviewing the various steps they must complete before they can form any conclusions. This is no more than a progress report to say they are still working on it.

In it is some good news in the form of a promise to replace or refund the purchase of the broken Terns, assuming they rule out that the bike was abused. But do not expect this statement to say anything more than, "We are working on it still, and rest assured, we are not ignoring you and have not forgotten the situation."

I can see both sides of this and I would recommend that the following points would be very beneficial if they could be covered in the next update from Tern:

1) How long it will be before those affected can expect a conclusion to all these analyses?

2) What was the cause of the breakages specifically?

3) What percentage of the frames made with this design and at this factory, etc. have failed thus far? Is it just a statistical blip?

4) Will there be any kind of a Recall issued in these cases?

5) For those who have the models affected and which still appear operational, what precautions should they take to ensure their safety?

6) Is there a range of serial numbers which can be issued to check to see if their own bikes could be at risk of similar failure?

7) How long can those who have returned their bikes to their bike shops expect to wait before they will hear something from Tern?

Cool When will those who have frame failures be reimbursed or compensated? Will this be through their bike shop or directly from Tern?

9) Can all other Tern Bicycle riders relax and stop checking for cracks?

10) What has Tern learned from this that they plan to change?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:50 pm

April 9, 2014 - 2:15am
k_kibbler

Thanks Keith, I think those are all reasonable, and reasonably-phrased, points for Tern to address. I don't think Tern can answer all of them, nor do I think any other any other big name bike manufacturer would or could either, but anything would be better than nothing.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 pm

April 9, 2014 - 2:19am (new)
Rager

Keith,

Some of those very valid questions I asked a while ago - no response.

We have learned from this forum that Tern had not contacted owners. I have now given up expecting a reply to my unaswered email.

Another owner has informed me that, when they had a problem with their bike, Tern did nothing until they took action against them.

I fear action is required before further incidents occur. Should I have an accident as the result of any problem with my bike, I will be going straight to a compensation lawyer.

Normally I would never take this route but I really feel Tern is being negligent in not responding to legitimate requests for information.

Regards.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:50 am

April 9, 2014 - 9:29am
Re-tern

I have just had a lengthy conversation with Mark Bickerton, the UK Tern Representative, and I would like to say that after the discussion, in which he explain what Tern are doing to investigate and resolve the problem, I now believe that they are actually very serious and commited to getting a resolution to the frame failure issues that have happened. As he explained they cannot comment exactly on what their conclusions and outcomes of their investigations are, especially on this forum as it is not the correct place to do so; however they are continiung to build a picture as to what has happened, so as when they are ready to make an announcement they are 100% confident. Mark also stated that he is more than happy to speak to anyone should they contact him.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 am

April 9, 2014 - 10:11am
Rager

Thanks for the update, it's the 1st piece of slightly more reassuring news.

I understand this is obviously a very sensitive issue for Tern but I still think lessons need to be learnt about good 'communication' and how to manage a problem.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:48 am

April 9, 2014 - 11:41am
Keith C. Johns

Tern Link D8 frame shearing in two - Page 10 Keith10

k_kibbler wrote:

Thanks Keith, I think those are all reasonable, and reasonably-phrased, points for Tern to address. I don't think Tern can answer all of them, nor do I think any other any other big name bike manufacturer would or could either, but anything would be better than nothing.

In my last post I was trying to put into perspective what Tern's last update was trying to do: update progress, not conclude anything as of yet.

I thought it might be handy to just make a short list of ten items which sum up the information which Tern riders would like to have answered, sooner if possible. Yes these have all been asked by others on this thread many times already, but to have a short list for reference seems easlier than rereading a very long thread to find all the various questions which have popped up by many different people. An even shorter summation would be:

What went wrong?

Who does it affect?

What can be done to remedy it?

[This could be applied to almost any problem. I think my ten questions above are specific enough to get to these issues in this particular situation.]

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next